My Blog

WELCOME

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Just a little tip, sir.

I don't know if it's my low self esteem or if I'm just a realist, but I don't feel that I'm even remotely good enough as a writer to be giving suggestions and advice to the other writers. It's partly the reason why I've stopped doing it. I really just don't feel comfortable telling other people what to do when I have such a low opinion of my own work.

With that said, if someone asks me a very pointed question, I often find it difficult to resist answering. The problem? I get so many questions from people, and none of them are ever pointed.

These days, people love to ask me to give them a tip on writing. And by that, I mean literally give them a tip. And by literally, I mean, they literally say the following words: "Can you give me a tip on writing?" Or, "I'm starting a new book. Do you have any suggestions?"

In case my use of the word "literally" isn't being fully realized, the word "book" in the previous quote is not a substitute for <insert type of book>.

These people literally ask me to give them a tip on a  "book" they are writing, without giving me any more information to go on than that: what kind of book, what genre, what's the name of it?

These people are always the most difficult to respond to. What am I supposed to say? I am a terrible advice-giver to begin with, and these kinds of questions only make it all the more difficult.

"Hi, I'm a new writer, and I'm creating a story about stuff that's important to me. Any advice?"

Yeah, here's my advice: ask me a fucking question I can actually answer! Obviously it's important to you or you wouldn't be writing it!

"Hello there. I've read your works. Is there any way you can give me a tip on how I'm supposed to begin a certain chapter?"

My answer: No, I can't. Because I have no idea what you're talking about! What book? What chapter? What genre, type of story, situations!

And my all time favorite:

"Hi. I really need some advice."

That's a statement not a request!

It's like walking into a McDonalds and saying, "Hi, I am here because I plan to eat food." And then waiting for the guy at the counter to figure out what you want.

Sheesh! 

7 comments:

  1. Oh, oh, oh *raises hand in the air and jumps aroud like Hermione*

    I have a question and a particular, specific one at that. I think...

    I've been having problems with showing and not telling. I know it is extremelly important and I know why, but I seem to have a hard time writing that way and an even harder time identifying that in my own writing.

    I have seen you follow this rule plentiful, and it always looks so natural. Do you have any tips to do this? I mean, is there anything that you either think, ask yourself or some tecnique you use to follow this rule and make sure you do? Is there any trick to do it?

    And I'm sorry if I'm bothering... You can always ignore, eheh.

    Thank you so much, anyway*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoops, I forgot to hit reply. See below.

      Delete
  2. Sorry, I forgot to check for comments. To show something, all you need to do is use verbs to describe something instead of adjectives or adverbs.

    Example: The man was angry. (Telling)

    Vs:
    The man's jaw tightened, his lips peeled back, and his lips pursed.

    Or

    The man slammed his fist into the wall behind him.

    There's a billion ways of doing it.

    Another example:
    "Don't even go there," she said angrily.

    Vs.

    The girl's face darkened, and she spat while she spoke. "Don't even go there!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much =) Seriously.

      You always make writing sound so natural and easy.. Thank you! It helps a lot to think that way*

      Delete
  3. Bro, just wanted to say, I am no where near a professional writer, but all your stories are amazing! You're my favorite author and I love all your books! Don't think so low of yourself, I'm sure everyone who reads any of your books would enjoy them as much as I am. Never stop writing!! lol



    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a better teacher than you give yourself credit for. Those examples are pretty good and point out perfectly how to "strengthen" a phrase.

    :)
    And - by the way - I have a question:

    I'm writing a new book. Any advices?
    *duck&cover*

    :-)
    Greetings SmugDevil (somehow it won't accept this name as my nick here *grumbling*)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry for bringing you back to this month, just want to say that I like you. Your works I mean. Read a couple of your stories on wattpad, even your 'hate' post.lol Anywho, I enjoy reading them and I learn a lot too without even aiming for it at the onset. :)

    ReplyDelete